Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sisters

Yesterday I was shocked to be told that I will having another little girl in January. I'm not sure why I was so certain I was having a boy, but I was definitely surprised.

Since then I've been thinking about how unprepared I am to raise sisters. All I had were brothers; If I don't even know how to be a sister, how will I raise some? Of course, my concern mostly just stems from the same insecurities any mother feels about raising children in general--am I really ready for this?

I keep having the song "Sisters" from the musical "White Christmas" run through my mind (this is the best video I could find). My daughters will be 18 months apart, and I hope that as they grow up they will consider it a blessing to have a sister and friend so close to them. I'm sure there will be times they want to pull each others' hair out, but I hope that overall they love having a sister.

For those of you who have sisters, what is your favorite thing about having/being a sister?

2 comments:

  1. I love having a sister. She's like a built-in best friend. Of course, I didn't always feel that way. My sister is 7 years younger than I am, and I thought she was a nuisance when we were younger. Now that we've both grown up a bit, we can talk about anything. We give each other beauty tips because we basically have the same complexion/hair texture and color/eye color/etc. We talk about boys, college (she'll be starting next year), our dreams. And because she's my sister, it's like my best friend who is a little more best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having my 2 younger sisters. I can't imagine a world without them. They both have made me insane at times, it was in their job description when they were born. :P When growing up we would get into fights all the time, and we would always fight to get to mom and/or dad first so we could tell on each other haha but now we have really good relationships. My relationship with each of them is special and unique.

    I have no doubt that your little girls will be very close and I'm so so so so excited for you! Only word of advice I can give you (that I learned from my mom with us lol) is to have patience. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; knowing people are reading encourages me to keep writing.