Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Surprises of Spring

Behind our house there's a steep downhill slope which quickly becomes a mass of evergreen trees. It looks so thick that I've never actually gone down there (which is strange for me, because once-upon-a-time I would have felt an irresistible need to explore such a place). 

A few days before Easter I walked out of the garage and looked over the hill, and I saw something white amidst the green.



Curious, I clambered down a few feet. This is what I saw:



This gorgeous lily was fighting its way up through the weeds and scratchy evergreens around it.

After exclaiming over it with Ryan, we came up with this theory: Someone bought a potted lilly. It died (or appeared to). They tossed it off the top of the hill to get rid of it.

But despite the circumstances and surroundings, it bloomed again.

Because it was a few days before Easter, my thoughts went first to resurrection. Then they turned to how we shouldn't judge others, because we don't know when someone might be spiritually sleeping instead of spiritually dead. Then I thought of Joseph in Egypt, who excelled and bloomed wherever he was placed.

By that point I didn't know what to write a blog post about, I just knew I wanted to share my beautiful lilly, which is in a place where nobody else is likely to ever see it (unless I drag them off behind my house to show them, which I admit I've already done with one friend).

So here it is, friends. Take your own lesson from it, or take your pick from those mentioned above. And don't forget to look around to see what surprises spring might throw your way.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how cool!!! And I love all the analogies you shared. Hm, I'll be thinking about that one this afternoon... definitely puts more meaning into the phrase, "Bloom where you're planted"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't get over how surreal it was to see a flower that I think of as a delicate, cultivated flower growing wild. I think my new motto is, "Bloom where you're planted. Or where you're thrown." ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; knowing people are reading encourages me to keep writing.