Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Morning Affirmation

I now use about half the M&Ms, but this was my first batch and I was excited.

I tend to be very hard on myself, especially in the domestic sphere. I'm not a good housekeeper, and I'm very aware of that fact (though apparently not aware enough to have fixed it yet). But in the midst of my self-criticism, there are moments that make me say, "See, I'm not so bad." These moments affirm, uplift, and encourage me.

Eating homemade granola is my morning affirmation. When I push my spoon into a bowl of granola, I find myself thinking things like this: I'm eating something healthy. I MADE this healthy food. Even the dark chocolate M&Ms will just give me extra endorphins. Those dried blueberries are full of antioxidants. I'm not such a bad housewife. After all, I MADE this. My mom used to make granola. I'm not such a bad mom.


My logic on some of those may be flawed, but on days like today, when my granola container sits empty, I miss it desperately.

What's really funny, though, is that it makes me feel like a better wife and mother even though I'm the only one who eats it. Ryan's body can't handle that much fiber, and Cimorene can't handle the mix of crunchy and chewy.

But it doesn't matter. It still gives me the affirmation I crave. And so I'll keep making it. In fact, I'll go make some now.

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, I seriously doubt that you are as bad a housekeeper as you think. ;) As evidenced by the granola! Way to go- I have been wanting to make some lately and just totally not done it. I'm sure yours is delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm pretty sure I AM that bad of a housekeeper, lol. Hunger is just a more powerful motivator for me than cleanliness. ;-)

      Delete

Please leave a comment; knowing people are reading encourages me to keep writing.